c. Cleaning and Inspection.
(3) Install pinion carrier and output shaft as
(1) Clean all parts.
(a) Position rear servo band in transmission
(2) Inspect extension housing for cracks other
case with struts ends up.
defects and replace extension housing if foul defective.
(b) Place anchor end with depression toward
(3) Inspect drum band surface, bushing, and thrust
surfaces for scoring. Remove scoring with crocus cloth
(c) Install bronze thrust washer on thrust face
or replace part.
(4) Inspect bearings for excessive wear other
inside pinion carrier.
defects. Replace as necessary.
(d) Install pinion carrier assembly by positioning
(5) Inspect fluid passages for obstruction. Remove
rear band over drum while meshing planet pinions.
(e) Install seal rings on primary sun gear shaft
(6) Inspect gear teeth for cracks, excessive wear,
and check for free movement in grooves.
or other defects. Replace defective gears necessary.
(f) Install selective thrust washer on rear of
(7) Inspect plates for fit on clutch hi serrations.
Replace all plates badly scored, or which do not fit freely
(g) Measure pinion end play with feeler gage.
in hub serrations.
End play should be 0.010-to 0.020-inch. If the end play
(8) Use a feeler gage to measure coning of steel
exceeds 0.020 in. replace thrust washer.
plates. Replace plates with cone not between 0.01 to-
(h) Install output shaft, carefully meshing
internal gear with pinions.
(9) Inspect clutch pressure plates for scoring on
(4) Install rear pump as follows:
clutch plate bearing surfaces. Replace if deeply scored.
(a) Position rear pump drive key in keyway on
(10) Inspect clutch release spring for distortion.
Replace if badly bent.
(b) Position new front and rear gaskets on
(11) Inspect clutch hub thrust surfaces for scoring.
Replace as necessary.
(c) Insure drive key is alined with keyway in
(12) Inspect turbine shaft splines for wear.
pump drive gear.
Replace shaft if splines are excessively worn. Replace
(5) Install governor as follows:
shaft and bushing assembly if bushing deeply scored.
(a) Position governor drive ball in output shaft
(13) Inspect governor weight valve and bore for
pocket. Retain ball with OE-10 engine oil.
scoring. Replace if crocus cloth does not remove
(b) Install governor assembly, alining groove
with ball in output shaft.
(14) Inspect transmission case for cracks a other
(6) Install oil collector sleeve and tubes.
(7) Install extension housing.
(15) Inspects bushings for scoring and excessive
(8) Install front pump, except leave one capscrew
wear. Replace bushings as necessary crocus cloth
does not remove scoring or if worn excessively.
(9) Check transmission end play as follows:
(16) Inspect torsion lever pin for wear.
(a) Mount dial indicator support rod in capscrew
(17) Inspect all levers for excessive wear.
(18) Discard and replace all seals and gaskets.
(b) Mount dial indicator so that contact rests on
end of turbine shaft.
reassemble and install transmission shafts a related
(c) Pry front clutch cylinder to rear of
parts and using the following instruction:
transmission with large screwdriver.
(1) Lubricate all parts with engine oil OE-1
(d) Remove screwdriver and pry units toward
(2) Install clutch assemblies as follows:
front of transmission
by inserting screwdriver
(a) Install front band in transmission case so
between large internal gear and pinion carrier.
that anchor end is alined with anchor in case
(e) Indicator reading between steps (d) and
(b) Lift clutch assemblies, holding parts
(e) should be 0.008" to 0.044". In the event this
together, installing from rear, while positioning servo
requirement has not been satisfied, repair or replace
band on the drum.
parts as necessary until it is.
(c) Position center support in case, aligning
(f) Remove indicator and support and install
hole in center support with hole in side of case.
front pump mounting capscrew.
(d) Install right and left center supports bolts
(1) Install transmission in reverse of removal