b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean oil pump.
(2) Inspect for obvious damage and other
defects. Replace damage or defective pump.
(3) Measure clearance between spur gears
and body. Clearance should be 0.001-to 0.003-inch.
(4) Check end play between spur gears and oil
pump cover. With cover gasket installed, the
clearance should be 0.0015-to 0.006-inch.
(5)Check backlash between spur gears.
Backlash should measure 0.003-to 0.0065-inch.
Be sure to install I/16 inch flat spacer washer
between oil pump mounting and bearing cap.
oil pump and camshaft.
reverse order of removal procedure.
Figure 5-6. Oil pump removal
5-7. Valves, Guides, and Lifters
(3) Remove valves, guides, and lifters as
(1) Remove valve lifter cover (TM 10-3950
(4) Disassemble valves, guides, and lifters as
(2) Remove cylinder head (TM 10-3950-203-