Section I. SERVICE UPON RECEIPT OF EQUIPMENT
2-1. Inspecting and Servicing the Equipment
attention If splashed on any other part of body,
wash immediately and thoroughly with cold water. If
(1) Make a visual inspection to assure the required
splashed on clothing or other areas wash
tools, repair parts, publications, and other basic issue
immediately with cold water, and neutralize with a
items are included with the equipment.
solution of baking soda or household ammonia.
(2) Inspect the crane engine and mounted
(4) Replace vent caps.
components for missing items or damage which may
(5) Install the battery cables. Tighten the cable
have occurred during loading, shipment, or unloading.
terminals securely. Apply a light coating of nonmetallic
(3) Inspect wiring, fuel and oil lines, radiator and
grease or petroleum jelly to the battery terminals.
hoses, fuel and hydraulic oil tanks, hydraulic system
(6) Wipe the tops of the batteries and retaining
piping, gages, instruments, and lights for missing, loose,
clamps with a cloth moistened with baking soda or
broken, or damaged parts.
ammonia solution to remove any acid which may have
(4) Inspect drain plugs, breathers, filler caps, and
been spilled. Wipe dry with clean cloth.
drain cocks to be sure they are secured and not leaking
(7) The crane is shipped initially with 50% solution
of antifreeze, however, make .sure that all drain valves
(5) Inspect air and hydraulic hoses and lines, and
on the engine and radiator are closed. If required, fill the
electrical leads for cuts, breaks, cracks or signs of
cooling system with dean water to a level of 1 inch below
the neck of the radiator.
Note. When operation in temperatures 32F.
(1) Perform depreservation services as required.
or bow is expected, add antifreeze to the cooling
Note. If the crane has been preserved, a
system as specified in table 2-1. Operate the engine
depreservaton guide, DA Form 2258, (Depreservation
for several minutes to thoroughly mix the coolant
Guide for Vehicles and Equipment), will be attached
to the controls.
(2) Perform the necessary daily preventive
2-2. Installation of Separately Packed Components
For shipment the spotlights are removed and stored in
(3) Remove the battery vent fill caps, and fill each
the frame compartment on the left side of the unit
cell with electrolyte to a level 3/8 inch above the tops of
Unpack and install the spotlights as follows:
the plate separators.
Warning: Pour the electrolyte slowly.
secure the left step to the frame. Remove the step.
splashed in the eye, wash immediately and
thoroughly with cold water and secure medical