(a) Drain cooling system.
disconnect hoses (4) from thermostat housing, and water
(c) Connect flushing gun to hose (fig. 4-
19). Fill radiator with water. Shut off water sup- ply and
blow water out of radiator with air. Apply air pressure
gradually to prevent damage to radiator. Repeat this
process until flushing stream runs clear. Disconnect
(d) Remove by-pass tube assembly from
thermostat housing (1, fig. 4-22) and water pump. Install
a plug in opening of thermostat housing.
that secure thermostat housing (1) to cylinder head;
remove thermostat housing, thermostat (5) and adapter
(6). Reinstall thermostat housing; secure nuts (3).
(f) Connect flushing gun to thermostat
Figure 4-20. Reverse flow engine flushing.
with water. Hold hand over water supply. Blow water out
cooling system with antifreeze (table 2-1) containing a
of water jacket with air. Re- peat this procedure until
flushing stream runs clear. Disconnect flushing gun.
(g) Install thermostat in thermostat
housing; install tube' assembly, install hoses on radiator,
(2) Loosen clamp that secures pre-cleaner cap
thermostat housing, and water pump; secure with
to air cleaner and remove.
clamps. Close engine and radiator drain cocks. In
(3) Remove sixteen capscrews, lockwashers,
accordance with current directives, fill
and nuts that secure engine hood support and fire wall;
(4) Drain radiator by opening drain cock (11,
(5) Loosen clamps (3) that secure hoses (4) to
radiator (6); remove hoses (4).
(6) Place a drain pan under radiator.
Disconnect transmission oil lines from radiator and drain
oil from lines.
(7) Remove taillight wire clamps that se- cure
light wires to shroud.
(8) Remove four capscrews and washers that
secure hood support to frame; remove hood support with
shroud and radiator attached.
(9) Remove six capscrews (8), flat washers
(7), lockwashers (9) and nuts (10) that secure support to
radiator. Remove hood support.
(10) Remove five screws (2), nuts (12), and
fan guard (1) from radiator (6).
(1) Inspect radiator core and tanks for cracks,
dents, distortion, or other damage.
(2) Inspect solder joints between tanks and
core for evidence of leaks or other damage.
Figure 4-19. Reverse flow radiator flushing
(3) Replace radiator if defective.
d. Installation. Reverse procedures in b above.
(1) Close radiator drain cock (11).
accordance with current directives, fill cooling system