4-37. Fan and Alternator Belt
(1) Loosen alternator adjusting strap bolts (fig.
(2) Push alternator toward engine; slip
alternator belt off alternator pulley and remove from fan
b. Installation. Reverse procedures in a above.
is tension on belt; temporarily tighten alternator adjusting
(2) Check belt deflection on the span between
fan pulley and engine crankshaft drive pulley. Change
position of alternator to allow 3/4 to 1 inch deflection of
belt with firm thumb pressure.
(3) Tighten alternator mounting bolts and nuts
and adjusting strap screw.
4-38. Water Pump
(3) Remove adjusting :strap pivot bolt (fig. 4-
the fan from fan pulley.
cure water pump to cylinder block; remove water pump
1. Thermostat housing
3. Nut (2)
4. Lockwasher (2)
8. Stud (2)
Figure 4-22. Thermostat housing and related items,
pan. Heat water. The thermostat must open between
150 to 180F.
(3) Replace gasket, and if defective, replace thermostat.
(1) Reverse procedures in a above.
(2) Fill cooling system with antifreeze (table 2-
Figure 4-23. Fan belt adjustment points and
a rust inhibitor
or with water and rust