cloth dampened in engine lubricating oil, then lay them
(1) Clean all parts, except bearings, in an
approved cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
Replace all defective bearings.
(2) Visually inspect bearings for signs of
scoring in races, excessive wear, or other defect.
(3) Visually inspect all parts for signs of
excessive wear or other defect. Replace all defective
Clean serviceable bearings by wiping exterior with a
Section III. BACKHOE FRONT END ATTACHMENT
foot adapters. Secure backstop in closed position on
(6) Move crane-shovel unit away from
use the planetary pinion gear of the shovel or crane,
backhoe front end attachment.
therefore if the crane-shovel unit is so equipped, they
b Disassembly and Reassembly.
consists of boom, bucket handle, brace, bucket,
auxiliary gantry, spreader bar, backstop, boom foot
(3) Remove backhoe bucket (dipper) (para
adapters, and backhoe lagging for digging drum.
Cables for backhoe operation are listed in table 1-2, and
(4) Remove backhoe bucket (dipper) stick
Caution: When reeving the digging cable,
(5) Disassemble or reassemble backhoe
be sure that a second layer does not wrap on
drum. Over wrapping causes very rapid cable
(6) Disassemble and reassemble components
as described in the paragraphs listed above.
(7) Reassemble backhoe attachment by
reversing steps (1) through (4) above.
Backhoe lagging for digging drum is installed, or
When backhoe front end
attachment is to be installed, assure that backhoe
4-26. Backhoe Front End Attachment
proceed as follows:
(1) Move crane-shovel unit into position at
(1) Select a firm, level area in which to work.
Caution: If attachment will not be used for a
(2) Use wedges or jacks to raise boom from
considerable period of time, arrangements should
cribbing so that adapters line up with revolving frame
be made to protect the machinery from damage by
foot lugs, install pins that secure boom foot adapters to
revolving frame and secure pins with cotter pins (fig.
(2) Pull bucket under boom and lower boom
gradually until blocking may be placed between pitch
(3) Lift auxiliary gantry from boom, lean it
toward craneshovel, then attach backstop to revolving
(3) Build cribbing at boom point and foot (fig.
2-15); lower boom
to cribbing; disconnect backstop
(4) Remove blocking that is between auxiliary
(4) Disconnect backhoe digging cable, boom
hoist cable, and boom (gantry) hoist cable from dead
(5) Adjust boom hoist cable on drum until
end sockets, then unreeve by winding cables on drums
auxiliary gantry is vertical; use hoist cable to raise boom
and remove cribbing at point and foot of boom, then
guided through sheaves.
release digging cable and allow bucket to drop so
(5) Use wedges or jacks to raise boom foot
blocking can be removed from between brace and boom
enough to take weight off pins; remove pins 4-22 which
attach backhoe boom adapters to revolving frame lugs.
(6) Perform preventive maintenance checks
The backhoe boom and gantry remain attached to boom