INSTALLATION AND OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
Section I. SERVICE UPON RECEIPT OF MATERIEL
2-1. Inspecting and Servicing the Equipment
Provide a metallic contact between
a. General. When a crane-shovel unit is received
service vehicle and fuel tank during
by the organization, and after it has been unloaded from
the carrier (para 2-3), it must be thoroughly inspected
and serviced to insure that it is in good operating
engine while in refueling process
Have serviceable fire extinguisher
available while refueling .
b. Visual Inspection.
(3) Fill the fuel tank.
(1) Inspect for damage that might have
occurred during shipment.
(4) Fill engine crankcase with oil as specified
in current lubrication order.
(2) Inspect all components for loose mounting
hardware or connections.
(5) Batteries may be shipped separately (para
or installed dry charged, with electrolyte shipped
(3) Inspect all controls for freedom of
separately. Install batteries (para 3-75) if necessary,
movement through operating range, and that all handles
then fill with electrolyte until acid stands at least % inch
or knobs are in place.
above plates. For further service to batteries refer to
(4) Inspect engine compartment for loose or
TM 9-614w 200.
missing parts, or damage to air cleaner, manifold,
(6) Service cooling system (TB ORD 651)
muffler, fuel injection pump, or fuel lines.
with water, or proper mixture of anti-freeze solution. For
(5) Inspect fuel tank for dents, cracks, or
cold weather operation requirements see paragraph 2-
(6) Inspect battery installation for tightness of
2-2. Installation of Separately Packet Components
cables and level of electrolyte.
a. General. Components packed separately are
(7) Inspect instruments for cracked or broken
boxed, crated, or secured on or about the basic unit on
glass, and security of mounting.
carrier. After unloading (para 248b) and unpacking has
(8) Inspect cab for broken windows or door
been accomplished, these components are installed as
(9) Inspect flood lights for serviceability, and
b. Floodlights. Insure packing material has been
test operation of switches on control panel.
removed, then install a floodlight in single mounting
(10) Report all discrepancies to proper
bracket on left or right front of cab (fig. 1-2) by
removing one locknut, inserting stud through bracket
c. Servicing the Equipment. After the equipment
and reinstalling locknut.
has been unpacked (para 2-4) and separately packed
Install remaining floodlights in a similar manner.
c. Batteries. After batteries and electrolyte have
equipment must be serviced as follows:
been unpacked (para 2-48), install batteries in box (para
(1) Lubricate the crane-shovel in accordance
with current lubrication order and paragraph 34.
(1) Remove vent plugs (caps) from battery
(2) Perform all preventive maintenance
cells and fill each cell with electrolyte, until it stands at
least 8/8 inch above plates. Install caps after checking
that vent holes are clear of any obstruction.