4-31. Backhoe Boom
from bumper blocks, then remove bumper blocks from
a. Removal. When boom must be repaired, or
replaced, proceed as follows:
(1) Pull bucket under boom and lower boom
unless replacement is required.
to rest on cribbing at boom foot only, then unreeve all
(5) Reassemble boom and components by
reversing procedure in steps (4) through (1) above.
(2) Remove boom safety backstop (para 4-
c. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.
(1) Clean all parts with an approved cleaning
solvent and dry thoroughly.
(2) Visually inspect all parts for cracks,
(5) Build cribbing under boom point, use
breaks, bends, scored or worn bearings, worn bumper
wedges or jacks to take weight off boom foot pins (fig.
blocks, or other defects.
4-30) remove pins, then move crane-shovel unit away
(3) Repair by welding cracks or breaks,
straightening bends, and replacing worn or defective
b. Disassembly and Reassembly.
(1) Remove two cotter pins, pins, and guide
sheaves from boom foot.
d. Installation. Install backhoe boom by reversing
(2) Remove cotter pin, pin, and guide sheave
procedures in a above.
from under sheave guard.
(3) Remove two cotterpins, pin, wedge, then
remove cotter pin, nut, socket, lockwasher and bolt from
Section IV. PILEDRIVER FRONT END ATTACHMENT
The piledriver front end attachment (fig. 2-14) consists
allow cribbing to be removed. Remove cribbing, then
boom section inserted between base and point sections,
(6) Reeve hammer and pile handling cables
pile leads, hangers, catwalk, adapters, hammer, pile
cap, pile collar, and special cables for hoist and digging
keep looped end in reach, then guide hammer cable
down through pile threads. Raise boom (para 2-12b)
and travel unit forward (para 2-12c) simultaneously until
Crane-shovel unit must be level
when using piledriver attachment. If
bottom of leads touching the ground.
it is impracticable to grade site level,
timbers must be used to level the
Do not drag bottom of leads on
ground by raising boom without
4-33. Piledriver Front End Attachment
traveling crane-shovel unit, and
a. Installation. Assuming the shovel front end
avoid damage to leads.
attachment has been installed, proceed as follows:
(7) Install adapters on catwalk (para 4-47)
(1) Remove shovel front end attachment
then install catwalk.
(8) Install pile hammer, pile cap, and pile
(2) Remove shovel cables from drums (para
3-39), remove shovel sprocket and planetary pinion
(9) Lower hammer, cap, and collar to ground,
then perform preventive maintenance checks and
and reposition planetary clutch band to crane
b. Removal. When piledriver front end attachment
is to be removed and stored so that craneshovel unit
3-39) and wind boom hoist, pile handling, and hammer
may be converted for other use, proceed as follows:
cables on drums.
(1) Move piledriver unit to a suitable area for
(4) Move crane-shovel unit into position to
storage, then remove collar, cap, and hammer (para 4-
install boom similar to that shown in figure 26, connect
(3) When shovel or backhoe front end at-