Figure 3-9. Fuel rack setting gage install on front end
Figure 3-8. Governor high or low idle speed adjustment.
of fuel rack.
procedure several times, until desired speed is obtained.
(5) When idle speed is correct, install cover with
serrated recesses over adjusting screws so that proper
adjustment will be retained. Secure cover with the
d. Fuel Rack Setting.
Caution: An incorrectly adjusted fuel
rack affects turbocharger operation.
(1) Remove cover and gasket from rack bore of
the accessory drive housing, and the cover from rear of
(2) Install rack setting gage over the front end of
(3) Set gage to required setting for altitude.
(4) Move governor control lever to FULL LOAD
(5) When fuel rack is in FULL LOAD position,
the stop (fig. 3-10) should just barely contact the spring.
Note. If there is a shim, or shims,
Figure 3-10. Adjusting fuel rack setting.
housing, the stop should contact (but
(9) Remove rack setting gage then install the
not compress) the spring.
covers and gasket removed in step (1) above.
(6) If stop does not contact spring when fuel
e. Removal and Disassembly.
rack is in FULL LOAD position, loosen nut and turn shaft
(1) Disconnect fuel drain line from port (41, fig.
counterclockwise until stop just contacts spring, then
in cover (3). Remove bolt (1), two bolts (40), and
must be turned (to a lower reading) so the gage will
(2) Remove bolt (4), locking plate (5), spacer
contact fuel rack, the rack setting needs adjusting.
(6), and spring (51).
Reset gage to the correct setting, loosen nut (fig. 3-10)
(3) Remove nut (50) and stop (45) from shaft
and turn shaft clockwise until stop just contacts spring.
(38). Remove pin (46) from stop (45).
(8) Recheck the rack setting two or more times
securing housing (9) to fuel pump housing. Remove
to assure that adjustment is correct. Engine life, as well
housing (39) and gasket from fuel pump housing.
as performance, is dependent upon correct setting.
Remove hearings and
bushings only when replacement is