Figure 3-26. Fuel injection pumps, removal, disassembly, reassembly, and installation.
(4) Reassemble fuel injector pumps, camshaft,
disassemble, the individual fuel injection pumps from
lifters and housing in reverse order of that shown in
steps (1) through (3) above.
d. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
(1) Clean all parts using any Process required
Note. At reassembly of barrel and
to thoroughly clean, but not damage the parts, then dry
plunger assembly, assure that notch
in bonnet, notch in barrel, and slot in
(2) Inspect the housing for cracks, breaks, and
gear segment on plunger are aligned
warpage. Repair breaks and cracks by welding and
grinding smooth, if practical, or replace a defective
camshaft, and fuel rack from housing in numerical
(3) Inspect the drive gear for worn, cracked, or
chipped, teeth. Replace a defective drive gear.
(4) Inspect the fuel rack for cracks, wear, nicks,
burs, and chipped teeth. Smooth nicks or burs that
Caution: At reassembly, assure that
might cause fuel rack to bind. Replace a defective fuel
all oil holes are in proper alignment
when installing bearings. Set fuel
(5) Inspect rack bearings for scoring or wear.
rack at 0.000 inches to properly
Replace scored or defective bearings. The bore of a
install the barrel and plunger
new bearing must measure between 0.5007 and 0.5013
inches. The specified bearing clearance is from 0.002 to
Replace a bearing when clearance
Note. Torque fuel injection pump
exceeds 0.003 inch.
(6) Inspect the barrel and plunger assembly for
between 140 and 160 ft-lbs at
damage. Replace a defective assembly. (Parts are