(15), inner and outer valve springs (14 and 13) and
spring seat (12) from cylinder head (5).
(12) Remove valve (1), seat insert (2), packing
(10), and shim (11) from cylinder head (5).
(13) from engine.
(13) Remove nut (20), gasket (19), and guide (9)
(8) Rotate crankshaft while observing position
from cylinder head (5).
(14) Remove two pipe plugs (17 and 18) from
(9) Reach through hand hole, remove two cap
cylinder head (5).
nuts (8) and rod cap (11).
(15) Remove seal (3) and ferrule (4) from
(10) Repeat steps (7) through (9) above for
cylinder head (5).
remaining connecting rod caps.
(16) Repeat the procedures in steps (1) through
(11) Position cylinder head puller (1, fig. 3-56) as
(15) above for disassembly of the five remaining cylinder
shown, and secure to head with two puller bolts (7) and
heads, valves, and liners.
(12) Turn each of the four puller bolts (2) 1/4 turn
At reassembly, liner is
in a clockwise direction, moving clockwise around head,
threaded into head by a clockwise
until it is free of the block.
motion, using tool set up as
(13) Loosen two nuts (6), remove two puller bolts
(7) from cylinder head, then remove puller.
with ratchet (4) mounted on left hand
(14) Repeat steps (11) through (13) above until
Turn liner until it is
five remaining cylinder head, valve, and liners are
reasonably hand tight, then place a
weight of 160 pounds on end of
handle which should be 5 1/2 feet
Note. At installation of cylinder head,
long. This formula is: 160 lbs X 5 1/2
torque the four hold down nuts to
X 2.25 = 1,980 ft-lb. Weight on handle
between 90 and 100 ft-lb.
will turn cylinder head onto liner to
torque of approximately 2,000 ft-lb.
(15) Install cylinder head, valve, and liner by
reversing the procedures in steps (1) through (14)
(17) Reassemble cylinder head, valve, and liner
by reversing the procedures in steps (1) through (16)
b. Disassembly and Reassembly.
(1) Pull out and remove piston and connecting
c. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
rod through bottom of cylinder liner (26, fig. 3-57) and
(1) Clean all parts and dry thoroughly before
remove seal (23).
inspection or reassembly.
(2) Remove packing (22) from cylinder jacket
(2) Inspect guide to stem cearance. Try with
new valve. If clearance is more than 0.003 inch, replace
(3) Place cylinder head and liner (1, view A, fig.
the guide. When installing new guide, press guide in
3-58) into tool (3) and secure with hold down pins (2).
until the assembled height from cylinder head to top of
(4) Position ratchet gear (8) with dowel pins (7)
guide is 1-5/8 inches. Ream guide to between 0.435
aligned with mounting holes in cylinder head, then
and 0.436 inch.
secure gear (8) to head with thumbscrews (6).
(3) Inspect valve seats for burs, pits, and deep
(5) Install ratchet (4) and handle (5) on tool (3)
or wide wear. Replace seats as required. Reface valve
seats with a 45 stone. Valve seat width is 3/32 inch.
Use a 20 stone in tool to narrow seat width. Check
liner (26) by rotating ratchet gear (8, view A, fig. 3-58)
concentricity of seat to guide with dial indicator.
This is accomplished with a
Concentricity must be within 0.002 inch.
downward movement of handle (5).
(4) Inspect liner for cracks, pits, or grooves, and
Inspect valves for warpage of stem,
burned stem or face. Reface lightly burned valves.
Replace defective valves or liners.
cylinder jacket (27), and seal (25) from bottom of liner
Cylinder Block, Sleeves, Main Bearing Caps
(9) Remove upper cylinder jacket (24) and two
and Head (Engine Model D333TA)
seals (25) from liner (26).
spring, then remove lock (16).
(1) Remove glow plugs and harness (TM 5-