cap (12) clockwise until all backlash is removed from
between bevel gear (2) and two bevel gears (32, fig. 4-
three holes, install pin (10) and secure with cotterpin
Section XI. SWING BRAKE BAND AND OPERATING MECHANISM
(5) Remove cotterpins (14), pins (29), and links
The swing brake band is located on swing brake drum at
(6) Remove cotterpins (35), washers (28), pins
top of the vertical swing shaft, above the swing gear.
(27), spacers (45), and link (18).
The band is connected by mechanical linkage to a
(7) Remove cotterpins (10), washers (28), pins
hydraulic cylinder located on sidestand, inside cab to left
(27), spacer (43), and link (30). Lift out link (23).
and behind operator's seat. The cylinder is connected
(8) Cut rivets (2 and 3) and remove linings (1)
by copper tubing to a "no swing" brakelock in the control
from brake band (38).
The swing clutches, mounted on jackshaft
(9) Reassemble by reversing steps (1) through
(horizontal swing shaft), are shoe type clutches which
are required to actuate swing function of the crane-
c. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
(1) Clean all parts and dry thoroughly. Clean
lining with wire brush and wipe or blow away dust or dirt.
(2) Inspect lever, links, brackets, and brake
4-24. Swing Brake Band and Operating
band valves for cracks, breaks, or elongated holes.
Inspect brake lining for wear. If lining is worn within
11/16 inch of rivet heads, it is excessively worn. Inspect
hydraulic cylinder for leakage or other defect.
adjusting bolt (37).
(3) Repair cracks or breaks, or replace
(2) Remove cotterpins (10) and pins (9) from
Repair or replace hydraulic
Replace defective mounting
(3) Remove adjusting bolt (37), spring (39) and
Use new cotterpins at reassembly or
brake band (38) from brakedrum.
b. Disassembly and Reassembly.
(1) Remove nut (12) from eyebolt (13) then
(1) Position swing brake band on brakedrum
remove eyebolt and spring (16).
and secure with adjusting bolt (37), spring (39) and nuts
(2) Remove nut (25), cotterpin (10), washer (8),
and pin (14).
(2) Install link (34) on brake band (38) and
(3) Remove capscrews (39), lockwasher (48),
secure with pin (36) and cotterpins (35).
and keeper plate (47) from upper end of pin (46).
(3) Adjust swing brake band (TM 5-3810-206-
lockwasher (32), and washer (33) from bottom of pin
(46) and remove pin (46).