REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS FOR MATERIEL USE
IN CONJUNCTION WITH CRANE-SHOVEL
Section I. SHOVEL BOOM
two bearings (9) from each saddle block (3 and 13).
(15) Remove two fittings (10) from boom.
The crowd and retract and chain tightener mechanism,
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
shipper shaft and saddle blocks, bridle bar, and boom
(1) Clean all parts and dry thoroughly.
point sheaves are mounted on boom of shovel front end
(2) Inspect saddle blocks, collar, sheave, and
attachment. The paragraphs of this section will describe
drum for cracks, or breaks. Inspect rack segment of
maintenance of the components named above.
dipper handle for cracks, bend, or breaks. Inspect spur
gears for broken teeth, wear, or other damage. Inspect
bearings for scoring or excessive wear.
Shipper Shaft and Saddle Blocks
mounting hardware for burs, stripped threads, or other
a. Removal and Dissassembly.
(1) Remove dipper, and dipper handle (TM 5-
(3) Repair by welding breaks or cracks,
straightening bends, or replacing defective components
and mounting hardware.
washers (24), bolts (6), and collar (7) from shaft (8).
c. Reassembly and Installation.
(3) Remove two nuts (18), lockwashers (2),
(1) Install two bearings (9, fig. 6-1) in each
bolts (20), and cable drum (19) from shaft (8).
saddle block (3 and 13), and in the shaft mounting ears
(4) Drive shaft (8) through boom far enough to
permit removal of left hand saddle block (3), then lower
(2) Install bushings (21) and fittings (10) in
saddle block to the ground.
saddle blocks (3 and 13).
(5) Remove spur gear (12) from left end of shaft
(3) Install shims (4) and plates (5) on saddle
(6) Drive shaft (8) farther through boom and
remove sprocket (11).
(4) Install sheave guard (14) on right hand
(7) Assure that right hand saddle block (13) is
saddle block (13) and secure with lockwasher (16) and
secure then drive shaft (8) completely out of boom.
(8) Lower right hand saddle block (13) to the
(5) Install spur gear (12), sheave (22), and
saddle block (13) on right end of shaft (8).
(9) Remove sheave (22) from shaft (8).
(6) Use a suitable hoist or lifting device to align
(10) Remove spur gear (12) from right end of
shaft (8) with ears of boom, support weight of shaft and
saddle block, then drive left end of shaft (8) through one
(11) Remove two capscrews (17), lockwasher
ear of boom.
(16), and guard (14) from saddle block (13).
(7) Install sprocket (11) on shaft (8) so that
spines are in alignment, then drive shaft through
slide plates (5), and shims (4) from saddle blocks (3 and
remaining ear of boom.
(8) Install spur gear (12) and saddle block (3)
(13) Remove fittings (10) and bushings (21) from
on left end of shaft.
saddle blocks (3 and 13).
(9) When shaft (8) is centered in boom, install
(14) Remove two bearings (9) from boom, and
drum (19) on right end of shaft and secure with bolts
(20). lockwashers (2), and nuts (18).