(2) Install the hoist gear guard and shields
(1) Install the engine clutch assembly as
Section XI. CRANE ENGINE CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY AND VALVES
e. Install the spark plugs (TM 53810-207-20).
f. Install the generator regulator (TM 5-3810-207-
The crane engine cylinder head assembly is of the
L-head type. The spark plugs are mounted in the
g. Fill the radiator (TM 5-3810-207-10).
88. Crane Engine Cylinder Head Assembly Removal
91. Crane Engine Valve Assemblies Removal and
a. Drain the cooling system (TM 5-3810-207-10).
b. Remove the generator regulator (TM 5-3810-
(1) Remove the valve covers and valve
c. Remove the spark plugs (TM 5-3810-207-20).
cover gaskets (TM 5-3810-207-20).
d. Remove the thermostat housing and thermostat
(3) Remove the valve assemblies from the
e. Remove the distributor (TM 5-3810-207-20).
f. Remove the oil filters (TM 5-3810-207-20).
assemblies in the numerical sequence as illustrated on
g. Remove the cylinder head as instructed on
Crane Engine Valve Assemblies Cleaning,
89. Crane Engine Cylinder Head Assembly Cleaning
Inspection, and Repair
a. Clean all parts with an approved cleaning
(1) Clean all parts with an approved cleaning
solvent and dry thoroughly.
b. Inspect all parts for excessive wear and
(2) Clean carbon from valves, valve stems,
damage. Check cylinder head flatness. Length-wise it
and cylinder block and from around valve
should not exceed 0.004 inch low in center, gradually
seats and ports.
decreasing toward the ends. Crosswise it should not
b. Inspection and Repair.
exceed 0.003 inch low.
(1) Inspect the valves for burned seats and
c. Replace all defective parts.
pitted or bent stems. Stem diameter
Crane Engine Cylinder Head Assembly
should be 0.4335 to 0.4345 inch. Replace
valves with bent stems or badly burned
a. Install the cylinder head
(2) Inspect the inside of each valve guide for
b. Install the oil filters (TM 5-3810-207-20).
Intake should be
c. Install the distributor (TM 5-3810-207-20).
0.4360 to 0.4370 inch. Exhaust should be
d. Install the thermostat housing and thermostat
0.4390 to 0.4400 inch.
(3) Grind and reface any burned valves as