b. Remove the oil filters from the oil filter base and
(2) Inspect the oil cooler for cracks, breaks,
dents, or other damage.
oil cooler assembly (TM 5-3810-207-20).
c. Remove the oil filter base and oil cooler
(3) Test the oil cooler as follows:
(a) Plug one of the water passages.
assembly from the engine block as instructed on figure
(b) Insert an air hose in the oil passage.
(c) Immerse the cooler in water and
apply 15 to 20 pounds of air
236. Carrier Engine Oil Filter Base and Oil
Cooler Assembly Cleaning, Inspection,
(d) Watch for bubbles.
Testing, and Repair
appear, note the position of the
leaks. Mark the cooler for re- pair.
(1) Clean all parts with an approved cleaning
Solder the leaks with care, making
solvent. Dry thoroughly.
sure solder does not leak into core
(2) Remove all gasket residue from engine
passages where it would obstruct
the flow of water.
(3) Soak the cooler in an approved solvent to
(4) Replace all gaskets each time the oil filter
loosen the corrosion and sludge deposits.
base assembly and oil cooler are
Fill and drain the water passage of the
cooler with solvent several times to assure
the removal of any foreign matter from
237. Carrier Engine Oil Filter Base and Oil
inside the cooler. Blow out all passages of
Cooler Assembly Installation
the cooler with clean compressed air. Dry
a. Install the carrier engine oil filter base and oil
cooler assembly on the engine block as instructed on
b. Inspection, Testing, and Repair.
(1) Inspect the oil filter base for cracks,
b. Install the oil filters on the carrier engine oil filter
breaks, chips, or other damage and for
base and oil cooler assembly (TM 5-3810-207-20).
pits, burrs, or warping along mating
surfaces. Replace a defective oil filter
Section X. CARRIER ENGINE ROCKER ARM AND PUSH RODS ASSEMBLY
(3) Remove the spark plugs (TM 5-3810-207-
An overhead valve system is used on the carrier engine.
Cam actuated push rods operate the rocker arms
(4) Remove the rocker arm covers (TM 5-
mounted on the engine cylinder head and enclosed
within oil-tight covers. The action of the rocker arms
(5) Remove the carrier engine rocker arm and
opens and closes the valves during each engine cycle.
push rods assembly as instructed on
Drilled passages in the cylinder head provide lubrication
for the rocker arm assemblies, and ports on the side of
b. Disassembly. Disassemble the carrier engine
the engine provide passages for fuel vapors and exhaust
rocker arm and push rods assembly in numerical
239. Carrier Engine Rocker Arm and Push
240. Carrier Engine Rocker Arm and Push
Rods Assembly Removal and
Rods Assembly Cleaning, Inspection,
a. Cleaning. Clean all parts with an approved
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
(2) Remove the water manifold (TM 5-3810-