(12) Inspect the two shifting yokes and shafts
or other damage. Replace all defective
for distortion, wear, breaks, or other
damage. Repair or replace defective
and binding. Inspect the bearings for free
(13) Inspect the spring balls, and plungers for
rotation. Replace all defective bearings.
distortion, wear, pitting, or other damage.
Inspect all shims for cracked or torn
Replace all defective parts as necessary.
edges. Replace all defective shims.
(14) Always use new gaskets, oil seals, and
Inspect all shafts for distortion, broken, or
shims during reassembly.
chipped splines, scoring, pitting, burrs,
stripped threads, or other damage.
Repair replace defective shafts as
313. Carrier Transfer Case Assembly Reassembly
Inspect all threaded parts for stripped or
a. Reassembly. Reassemble the transfer case in
damaged threads. Repair or replace parts
the reverse of the numerical sequence as instructed on
Inspect all metal mating surfaces for
burrs. Remove all burrs.
(1) Install the carrier transfer case assembly
Inspect the bearing cups for excessive
wear, scoring, pitting, or other damage.
(2) Install the three propeller shafts on the
Replace a defective cup and cone as a
three universal yokes on the transfer case
Inspect the spacers, washers, and
(3) Reconnect the handbrake cable on the air
retaining rings for cracks, breaks, twisting,
actuated brake valve (TM 5-3810-207-
excessive wear, or other damage.
Replace defective parts as necessary.
Inspect the brakeshoe lining for wear,
assembly on the transfer case (TM 5-
breaks, or cracks. Replace defective
(5) Fill the transfer case assembly (TM 5-
Inspect the mounting brackets and the
yokes for cracks, breaks, distortion, or
(6) Adjust the control levers (TM 5-3810-207-
Repair or replace
damaged parts as necessary.