Figure 38. Crane engine carburetor adjustment.
Figure 39. Crane engine carburetor,
a. Description. The carburetor used on the crane
removal and installation.
engine is an updraft, single venturi designed carburetor.
The mixture of the fuel-air for low speed idling is
until it reaches normal operating temperature.
controlled by the adjusting needle. The main adjusting
(2) Loosen locknut on governor adjusting screw
screw controls the amount of fuel delivered for high
(fig. 40) and back out
on the adjusting screw several turns
speed engine operation.
to make sure it does not affect the engine speed.
b. Adjustment. Adjust the carburetor as instructed
speed with the engine pulling its rated load. If the desired
c. Removal and Installation. Remove and install
engine speed (1800 rpm) cannot be obtained, increase or
decrease the tension of the governor spring by loosening
d. Cleaning and Inspection.
the adjusting nut and lowering or raising the adjusting
(1) Clean the carburetor with an approved
eyebolt to obtain desired speed range.
(4) Secure the adjusting eyebolt in place with the
(2) Inspect the carburetor for wear, improper
operation, and other damage.
(5) If the governor surges at no-load speed after
(3) Replace defective carburetor.
spring tension is adjusted, turn the adjusting capscrew in
unit surge is eliminated; secure with locknut.
94. Engine Governor
(1) Start the engine and allow it to operate