(2) Disassemble the distributor as illustrated in
b. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.
(1) Clean all parts with an approved cleaning
solvent and dry thoroughly.
(2) Inspect the points for excessive burning, pits,
and other damage. Replace defective points.
(3) Using a coil and condenser tester, test the
coil and condensers. Replace defective coil,
condensers, or resistor.
c. Coil Testing.
(1) Test with a test lamp as follows: Test the coil
for open or grounded circuits by using a test
lamp. Check the primary circuit by placing
the test points on the two primary terminals.
If the lamp does not light, the primary circuit
is open. Check the secondary circuit by
placing one test point in the high tension
terminal and the second test point on one of
the primary terminals. The lamp will not
light, but sparks will be noted as the test
points are rubbed over the terminals if the
secondary winding is not open. If no sparks
Figure 45. Distributor, removal and installation.
occur the secondary is open.
(2) Test spark gap with a testing instrument as
follows: Attach the leads from the testing
a. Removal. Remove the distributor as shown in
instrument to the two primary terminals.
Turn the distributor so the points will open
and close to obtain a reading on the meter.
Before removing the distributor for
When an instrument is used, test another coil
which is known to be good. The two coils
marks on the distributor housing in
should have the same reading on the meter.
relation to the distributor rotor.
b. Cleaning, and Inspection.
Do not touch the test instrument to the
(1) Clean the distributor with an approved
unit as the case is internally grounded
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
and a faulty reading will occur.
(2) Inspect the distributor for cracks, breaks,
and other damage.
d. Reassembly and Installation.
(3) Replace a defective distributor.
(1) Reassemble the distributor in the reverse
(4) Lubricate the distributor (LO 5-3810-227-
c. Installation. Refer to the identification marks
(3) Lubricate the distributor (LO 5-3810-227-15).
placed on the distributor housing and install the
e. Engine Timing.
99. Distributor Points, Coil, Condenser, Resistor,
and Rotor Cap
(2) Disconnect spark plug cable from