Clean the spark plug points with an approved
spark plug cleaning machine.
(3) Inspect the electrodes for burns, pits, and
alinement. Replace defective plugs.
The outside or grounded electrode must
be directly lined with the inside or
(4) Inspect the spark plug cables for corrosion,
frayed or broken insulation or shielding and
c. Adjustment. Place a feeler gage between the
center electrode and the ground electrode of the spark plug.
Set the clearance by bending the ground electrode.
Spark plug clearance for crane engine is
Figure 47. Engine flywheel timing marks.
0.035 inch for resistor type plugs and
0.025 inch for standard plugs.
surrounding the center electrode.
d. Test. Test the spark plugs with an approved testing
machine. Replace all defective plugs.
e. Installation. Install the spark plugs and cables as
101. Starter Solenoid
a. Test. Test the solenoid and starter assembly
b. Removal. Remove the starter solenoid assembly
Figure 48. Spark plugs and cables,
c. Cleaning and Inspection.
removal and installations
(1) Clean the starter solenoid with a cloth
from the cylinder head around the spark
dampened with an approved cleaning
(2) Remove the cables and spark plugs as
(2) Inspect the solenoid for proper operation and
other damage. Replace defective solenoid.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(3) Inspect the wiring for frayed, broken, or worn
conditions. Replace wiring as necessary.
(1) Clean the spark plugs and cables with a
d. Installation. Install the starter solenoid as illustrated
lint-free cloth dampened with an approved
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.