102. Starter Assembly
(2) Remove the starter as instructed on figure
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean the starter assembly with a cloth
dampened with an approved cleaning
(2) Rotate the drive pinion to see that the
armature turns freely and does not bind.
(3) Remove the cover band and inspect the
brushes. If brushes are worn to less than
1/2 inch, replace brushes.
(4) Inspect starter assembly for proper
operation, wear, and other damage.
Replace defective starter.
(5) Inspect the commutator for pits, burns and
other damage. If commutator is defective
c. Installation. Install the starter assembly as
Figure 51. Starter brush, replacement.
d. Brush Replacement.
(a) Remove the starter as instructed on
(b) Remove the cover band.
(c) Remove the brushes as instructed
(a) Install the brushes as illustrated on
(b) Install the band cover.
(c) Install the starter as illustrated on
103. Batteries, Cables, and Battery Box
a. Test. Test the batteries with a hydrometer. If
the specific gravity reads below 1.225, recharge the
batteries. Test the batteries after recharging. A fully
charged battery should read between 1.280 and 1.300.
Replace a battery that will not take or hold a charge.
Figure 52. Batteries, cables, and battery box,
removal and installation.