Figure 135. Steering tie rod assembly, removal and installation.
Section XXIV. WHEELS, TIRES, AND STOCK ABSORBERS
The carrier is equipped with eleven 12:00 x 20, 14-ply
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
rubber tires, eight on the rear, two on the front, and one
(1) Clean all parts with an approved cleaning
All wheels and tires on the carrier are
interchangeable and can be mounted in any position on
(2) Inspect the locknut, lockring, key washer,
the axle. All studs and nuts are marked right or left and
and bearing adjusting nut for damage.
must be installed accordingly on the proper side of the
Replace as necessary.
carrier. The carrier has shock absorbers mounted on the
(3) Inspect the bearings and races for damage
front axle of the carrier frame.
and excessive wear (TM 9-214). Replace
bearings as necessary..
224. Front Wheel
(4) Inspect all other parts for breaks, cracks,
a. Removal. Remove the front wheel as instructed
excessive heat, and, other damage.
on figure 136.
Replace all parts and gaskets as necessary.
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
(1) Clean the wheel assembly with an
(1) Pack the wheel bearings, using the
approved cleaning solvent.
prescribed lubricant ( LO 5-6810 227-15).
(2) Inspect the wheel assembly for bends, worn
(2) Install the wheel bearings, hub, and drum in
mounting holes, and other damage.
the reverse of the numerical sequence as
Replace or repair defective wheel
c. Installation. Install the front wheel as illustrated
on figure 136.
When installing the bearing, tighten
225. Front Wheel Bearing, Hub, and Drum
the bearing adjusting nut until the
wheel locks; then back off on the
adjusting nut until the wheel turns
(2) Remove the front wheel hub, drum, and
bearings in the numerical sequence as