14. Using suitable tool, compress spring with
33. If assembly functions properly, install welch
ball in position and slide rail through rail
plugs into place.
Make sure welch plugs are aluminum.
15. Place lockscrew (41) in shift lug and
lockscrew (37) in shift fork.
34. Turn cover over.
16. Shift into neutral position.
35. Check actuating pin (24) to see if it is in
place, install actuating ball (28) and neutral
17. Slide 1st-reverse shift rail (29) through
opening on left.
(f) Reassembly of mainshaft rear
18. Place 1st-reverse shift lug (25) on rail with
set screw opening up, and shift slot toward
center of cover.
1. Press cup bearing (37) into
bearing cap (35). Bearing cap
19. Place interlock pin (27) in hole in shift rail
should be resting on rear of cap.
with pin in rail, in a horizontal position; push
rail through rail support.
2. Snap in a new snap ring (38).
20. Place 1st-reverse rocker lug (20) on end of
(2) Reassembly of drop gear unit subassembly
rail with lockscrew hole up and in position
on rocker arm (14).
(a) Cover and bushing assembly (34).
21. Put lockscrews (30, 21) in place and
1. If oil seal has been removed,
press in oil seal (31).
22. Shift rail into neutral position.
2. Place speedometer driven gear
28. Slide 4th-Sth shift rail (3) through opening
(86) in position.
3. Install speedometer driven gear
24. Place 4th-5th shift fork (35) and spacer (6)
on rail with setscrew hole in fork away from
(b) Intermediate shaft (49).
1. Install intermediate shaft gear
25. Place two interlock balls (22, 23, 38, 39) in
locating ring (50).
cross holes in rail support on both sides of
2. Press gear (51) on shaft with long
hub toward the retainer ring.
26. Place poppet spring (6) and ball (4) in
3. Put spacer (52) on shaft, with oil
poppet hole in cover.
grooves toward gear.
27. Using suitable tool, compress spring with
4. Press bearing (53) on end of
ball in position.
shaft, until bearing shoulders
28. Place interlock pin (24) in hole in shift rail,
against spacer (52).
with pin in rail, in a horizontal position, push
5. Install bearing retainer ring (54)
on shaft (49).
29. Place setscrew (34) in position and tighten.
(c) Air shift cylinder body (14).
30. Shift rail into neutral position.
1. Install new 0-ring (20) on shift rod
31. Install lockwires into all screws. This should
be done in such manner as not to interfere
2. Install piston (11) on rod (21),
then place retainer ring (10) in
32. Check assembly of cover by shifting in and
out of all speeds. Then shift center rail into
3. Install new 0-ring (16) in body
4th speed and attempt to shift side rails into
speeds at same time. This provides a
4. Insert rod (21) and piston (11)
check on proper assembly of interlock
into body (14).
plugs, balls and pin.
5. Replace 0-ring (9) and cover (7)
Cover should NOT shift into more than
one speed at a time.