Figure 240. Carrier transfer case assembly, removal and installation.
(3) Remove all dirt, sludge, and grease from
from the three universal yokes on the
the transfer case and bearing cap recesses.
b. Inspection and Repair.
(5) Remove the transfer case assembly as
(1) Inspect the transfer case, cover bearing
b. Disassembly. Disassemble the carrier transfer
caps, bellcranks, levers, brake drum, and
yokes for cracks, breaks, distortion or other
case assembly in the order of numerical sequence as
damage. Repair or replace defective parts
476. Carrier Transfer Case Assembly, Cleaning,
(2) Inspect all gears for chipped or broken
Inspection, and Repair
teeth, excessive wear, broken splines, or
other damage. Replace all defective gears.
(3) Inspect the bearings for wear, scoring, and
(1) Clean all parts with an approved cleaning
solvent. Dry thoroughly.
rotation. Replace all defective bearings.
(4) Inspect all shims for cracked or torn edges.
Do not spin a dry bearing with
Replace all defective shims.
(5) Inspect all shafts for distortion, broken, or
(2) Use an approved cleaning solvent to clean
chipped splines, scoring, pitting, burrs,
Remove dirt, sludge, and
stripped threads, or other damage. Repair
caked grease from shaft splines and gear
or replace defective shafts as necessary.