lever contact surface to hold crosshead in
contact with valve stem nearest the push rod.
Figure 29 - Continued.
(4) Turn crankshaft in direction of rotation to
next "VS" mark corresponding to firing
Figure 30. Air cleaner, disassembly and reassembly.
order (1-5-3-6-2-4) of engine "25VS" and
No. 5 cylinder will be ready for
(3) Turn adjusting screw down until it contacts its
mating valve stem.
(5) Continue turning the crankshaft in
(4) For new crossheads and guides, advance
direction of rotation and making
adjusting screw one third of one hex (20
adjustments until all injectors and valves
degrees) to straighten stem in its guide and
to compensate for slack in threads. With
worn crossheads and guides, it may be
necessary to advance screw a s much as 30
Two complete revolutions of the
degrees in order to straighten stem in its
crankshaft are needed to set all
(5) Hold adjusting screw in this position and
Injector and valves can be adjusted
tighten locknut to 25/30 footpounds torque.
for only one cylinder at any one "VS"
(6) Check clearance between crosshead and
valve spring retainer with a wire gauge (fig.
29) for minimum clearance.
66. Valve Adjustment
b. Valve Adjustment. The same position used in
a. Crosshead Adjustment.
setting injectors (para 65) is used for setting intake and
adjustment before making valve adjustment b below.
(1) Loosen valve crosshead adjusting screw
(1) Loosen locknut and back off the adjusting
locknut and back off screw one turn (fig.
rocker lever and
(2) Use light finger pressure at the rocker