Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean exterior with a cloth dampened
with an approved cleaning solvent and
(2) Inspect for cracks, breaks, and other
damage, refer to par. a above. Repair
or replace a defective controller.
(1) Remove wax seal and screw type cap
(2) Install new brush and replace cap.
Install the controller as
(1) Control in neutral position should
measure 4 to 14 volts across terminal
indicates that the residual voltage of the
alternator is present.
Inspection and Adjustment.
(2) Controller full-on (main engine clutch
(1) Remove the cover from the controller
disengaged) measure full-on voltage
and visually inspect main contacts (fig.
from terminal " " to terminal " " If " "
to " " voltage at full-on controller, and
(2) The main contacts will show pitting on
engine at high idle is 7080, this indicates
one face and build up on the mating
that the rectifier and the wiring between
face. Both the arc on interruption and
the contact erosion are normal.
(3) Controller full-on (main engine clutch
disengaged) measure the ac voltage at
alternator output terminals G-G2, G2-
G3-G31. This voltage will be slightly
Do not file or dress the main
less than the " " to " " voltage. These
contracts because of build up of
should be nearly equal, indicating that
functioning properly. The above checks
(3) The contact material is approximately
will be of assistance in localizing the
1/8 inch thick and only when pitting is
well into the backing is it necessary to
replace the main contacts.
(4) The graphite brush will leave a track of
graphite on the circuit board. To clean,
use a lint-free rag dampened with an
circuit breaker that protects the system against
approved cleaning solvent and remove
overload. Remove cover to reset circuit breaker. The
the carbon deposits.
replaceable plug-in voltage regulator unit can be
(5) The graphite brush must be replaced
checked by removing leads from terminal (A, fig. 66) on
when worn to 1/2 inch in length.
voltage regulator chassis.
Remove the controller as