warm water, then drying with compressed air of
3-10. Air Cleaner Service
approximately 40 psi. Do not hold air jet too close to
a. Carrier Engine Air Cleaner Service (Model 2385).
paper element or damage to the element may result.
The carrier engine air cleaner is the dry-type.
Elements that have been cleaned several times will
Periodically inspect the air cleaner body for dents, cracks
finally clog and air flow to the engine will be restricted
or similar damage. Check for damaged hoses, loose
and a new element must be installed. Holes, loose end
hose clamps, damaged gaskets or any kind of leak that
seals, dented sealing surfaces, and other forms of
allows air to enter the engine without first passing
damage require immediate element replacement.
through the air cleaner. If any of the above conditions
b. Air Cleaner Service.
exist, corrective action must be taken immediately. The
(1) Loosen clamp assembly (1, fig. 3-7) and remove
paper element in a dry-type air cleaner may be cleaned
dust cap (4).
several times by using an air jet to blow off dirt or by
washing with non-sudsing household detergent and
Figure 3-7. Carrier air cleaner service (model 2385).
(2) Remove wing nut and baffles (2) from dust cup.
(6) Install a new element or one that has been
(3) Empty dirt from cup, air cleaner body, and baffle.
cleaned. Make sure that it seats on the .gasket at the air
Clean cup and baffle.
cleaner outlet end.
(4) Remove wing screw assembly (5) and remove
(7) Assemble baffle (2) to dust cup (4). Tighten
(5) Inspect O-ring and element gasket. Replace O-
(8) Install dust cup on air cleaner body (7) making
ring as needed.
sure it seats properly to prevent unfiltered air leakage.