g. Service. Service cooling system as instructed in
can be exposed by polishing, install new plates.
(6) Install spring and lower plate.
(7) Install new cartridge in housing.
(8) Install upper plate, gasket, and cover.
4-53. Water Filter
(9) Replace drain plug and open shutoff valve in
The water filter softens water,
neutralizes acidity, and protects the cooling system
against corrosion by use of a chemically activated
filtering element. In addition the unit contains a sacrificial
Change corrosion resistant cartridge
metal plate which arrests pitting of metals in the system
every time the coolant is changed or
by electro-chemical action.
every 7,500 miles or 200 hours.
b. Service. Change cartridge as follows:
(1) Close shutoff valve on inlet line. Unscrew
drain plug at bottom of housing.
When using antifreeze in the cooling
(2) Remove cover bolts and cover.
(3) Remove plate securing cartridge, lift cartridge
cartridge should be used. If water only is
from housing and discard. Remove plate below element.
(4) Lift spring from housing.
cartridge should be used. Refer to TM 5-
(5) Polish plates. If less than half of metal plates
3810-232-20P for proper cartridge.
c. Removal and Disassembly.
(1) Remove water filter as illustrated in figure 4-
Figure 4-46. Carrier engine cooling system water filter removal and installation.