b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean starter and solenoid with a damp
(2) Rotate drive pinion to see that the
armature turns freely and does not bind. If armature
binds, replace starter.
(3) brushes for excessive wear.
(5) Inspect wires for frays and breaks.
(6) Inspect for damage and defects.
(1) Replace defective wires.
(2) Replace a defective solenoid.
(3) Replace starter brushes as illustrated in
(4) Replace a defective starter.
d. Adjustment and Installation.
(1) Place a gage, made of sheet metal and
cut to dimensions shown in figure 3-78, over center of
solenoid contact disc. Energize solenoid by applying
battery to solenoid terminal and ground. Contact disc
should bottom on gage. Adjust contact height by
4-84. Generator Belt
(1) Remove fan belts as instructed in
Figure 4-79. Crane engine generator belt, removal and