B--Checking gear backlash
Figure 3-33. (20 Continued.
d. Check the injection timing. Timing may be
(9) Read the push rod travel on the dial
advanced or retarded by changing the camshaft key.
indicator and check the reading against the limits shown
(1) Install the injector push tube in the injector
tappet of No. 2 cylinder on the right bank and opposite
(10) Check the push rod travel at each of the
the cylinder on the left bank.
(2) Install the timing fixture in the injector
If the push rod travel is greater than the limits shown,
bore. The indicator extension must rest in the socket of
the timing is slow.
If the push rod travel is less than
the injector push rod.
the limits shown, the timing is fast.
(3) Tighten the timing fixture in place in the
(11) If the timing check shows a timing change
injector mounting capscrew hole.
is desirable, select the next advance or retard key from
(4) Bar the crankshaft in the direction of
engine rotation to the top center firing position. At the
point of maximum piston rise, "zero" dial indicator
Always install the key with the arrow
or color cod. toward the gear end of
(5) Bar the crankshaft to 60 degrees after top
center. At this point, the 60 degree mark on the moving
plunger should be in line with the groove on the retainer.
(12) Recheck the timing as outlined above if
(6) Zero" the dial indicator above the push
the camshaft key is changed.
(7) Bar the crankshaft in the direction
opposite the engine rotation to approximately 60 degrees
Each 0.007 inch offset of the camkey
before top center or until the 60 degree mark on the
is equal to approximately 0.0025 inch
plunger in the injector bore is in line with the groove on
push rod indicator travel the 23
the retainer. This is the same index mark indicated in
degree crank angle check.
step 5 above.
Bar the crankshaft in the direction of the
engine rotation until the dial indicator above the piston
shows the piston has traveled to the location shown at
the first check point under "piston travel" in table 3-1.