(5) Install dial indicator above piston within 0.10
4-63. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair
inch of fully compressed position. Set indicator dial at
a. Clean all parts with an approved cleaning solvent
and dry thoroughly.
(6) Continue to bar crankshaft in direction of
b. Inspect camshaft gear for cracked, broken, or
engine rotation until rod reaches 90' mark on left side of
worn teeth. Replace defective gear.
tool. (7) Install indicator above push tube to within 0.010
c. Inspect camshaft journals and lobes for scuffs,
inch of the fully compressed position. Set indicator dial
scoring, pitting, or other damage. Check by magnetic
inspection for possible cracks. Replace a worn or
defective camshaft. See table 1-1 for allowable wear
Each of the two dials used must have
total travel of at least 0.250 inch.
d. Inspect gear case cover for cracks, breaks or
other damage. Repair or replace a defective cover.
(8) Bar crankshaft in opposite direction of engine
rotation to 450 before top dead center.
a. Install camshaft in block rotating as it enters to
ease passage through bushings. Index timing mark on
The rod over piston will travel up to
b. Align camshaft bearing retainer mounting holes
with those in block.
TDC and then down to 450 mark on
alternately to 30-35 ft-lbs.
the left side of the tool rod retainer.
c. Attach dial indicator gauge to gear ease mounting
plate and check camshaft and clearance and gear
(9) Bar engine in direction of rotation until
backlash. Proper end clearance is 0.007 0.011 inch and
indicator above piston shows piston has traveled to
normal gear backlash is 0.004 0.007 inch. If end
location shown at first check point under "Piston Travel"
clearance exceeds 0.015
inch, replace bearing retainer. Replace camshaft gear if
(10) Read push rod travel on dial indicator and
backlash exceeds 0.020 inch.
d. Check injector timing. Timing may be advanced
(11) Check push rod travel at each of the two
or retarded by changing camshaft key.
(1) Insert an injector push tube into an injector
(a) If push rod travel is greater than limits
tappet of any cylinder desired.
shown, timing is slow.
(2) Install timing tool in injector sleeve of same
(b) If push rod travel is less than limits
cylinder by engaging short rod in injector push tube
shown, timing is fast.
(12) If timing check shows a timing change is
(3) Secure timing tool in place with retainers.
desirable, select next advance or retard key from listing
(4) Bar crankshaft in direction of engine rotation
to top dead center.
(13) If camshaft key is changed, recheck timing.
Section XIX. CRANE ENGINE GEAR CASE MOUNTING PLATE
a. Remove gear case cover and camshaft (para
Table 4-1. Camshaft Timing Specifications
Push rod travel (In.)
Crank angle (degree)
Piston travel (in.)