(2) Position the tagiine winder at an angle on the
boom so that the tagline drum is in line with the boom point,
and so that the tagline will reel straight off the drum when
the clamshell bucket is at half the height of the boom point
(3) Secure the tagline winder to the boom, using
wood filler blocks as necessary.
(4) The tension on the tagline winder cable may be
increased or decreased as necessary to keep the clamshell
bucket from oscillating. To ad- just the tension initially,
place four or five wraps on the drum, and secure the tagline
to the bridle chain. Additional wraps on the tagline drum
will increase cable tension; fewer wraps will decrease cable
e. Unreeving the Tagline Winder.
(1) Raise the boom until the clamshell bucket can
be placed on the ground approximately 10 feet from the
base of the boom, to relieve the spring tension on the
tagline winder. If necessary, lower the boom to reduce the
(2) Remove the cable from the bridle chain.
Caution: If there is tension on the tagline, do
not release the tagline suddenly; to do so may cause
damage to the tagline winder.
(3) Release the tagline slowly by holding a sight
tension on it until all of the cable is taken up on the reel and
the end is fastened to prevent the reel from unwinding.
Note. The tagline winder should be left on the
boom when not in use.
Unreeving the Clamshell.
(1) Release the drum brakes and unspool the
holding and closing cables from the front and rear drums.
(2) Remove the cable wedges from the dead- end
sockets on the clamshell, and remove the closing and
Figure 2-16. Tagline winder installation
(3) Remove the cable wedges from both cable
drums, and free the closing and holding cables.
d. Tagline Winder.
(4) Pull the cables free of the drums and the boom
(1) With a suitable lifting device, lift the
point sheaves, and lay them out straight on the ground.
tagline winder into position between the chords of the
boom base section, near the upper end of the
(5) Roll the cables into a coil and secure them with
wire. Label the cables for future use.
(6) Remove the boom hoist cable and boom
machine operation, mount the tagline winder with the
cable drum on the side away from the operator, to