Section IX. MAINTENANCE OF TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY
leakage. Report leaky transmission to organization
Inspect transmission assembly for evidence of
Section X. MAINTENANCE OF WHEELS AND TRACKS
adjustments of the belt if the dirt takes up all the slack.
Track Support Rollers and Brackets
Propelling with tight belts is extremely hard on the
(1) Make sure rollers and brackets are securely
(2) See that tracks are free before moving
machine. Check closely in freezing weather.
(2) Check for proper lubrication of rollers and
evidence of wear.
(3) Check condition of track, links, and pins.
Lubricate rollers in accordance
Check pins and keeper pins to see that they are secure.
3-21. Track Idlers and Brackets (fig. 3-10 and 3-11)
(1) Loosen the takeup tumbler shaft clamping
(1) Make sure idlers and brackets are securely
bolts (opposite chain drive end). Remove the adjusting
screw nut locks and turn the adjusting nuts until the
(2) Check for proper lubrication and evidence of
correct adjustment is obtained (4-5 inch slack of upper
b. Service. Lubricate track idlers in accordance with
(2) Turn the adjusting nuts on both sides of the
track frame the same amount, to keep the takeup
tumbler shaft parallel to the front of the track frame.
(3) After adjustment, replace the adjusting nut
(1) Watch the belts closely when the machine is
locks and retighten the clamping bolts.
working in loose dirt, sand, or mud, and loosen the