Section XII. MAINTENANCE OF CRANE, SHOVEL, AND EARTHMOVING EQUIPMENT COMPONENTS
(1) Set clutch in engaged position.
Cable Harness and Cable Inspection
(2) Adjust eyebolt until the gap between
Examine cables frequently for flats or broken
the lugs (of toggle-link and bellcrank) at the spring bolt is
no more than 1/8 inch with the clutch cold. If clutch is
adjusted while hot, the gap should be smaller than 1/8
Crane Boom Assembly Inspection and
(3) Adjust guide screws so band clears
housing by about 1/32 inch all the way around when
(1) Lower the boom and support on
clutch is released.
(4) djust the dead end screw to provide
(2) Spool off a few turns of the suspension
about 1/32 inch clearance between the lining and
and hoist ropes so boom point sheaves can be rotated
housing when clutch is disengaged.
(3) Examine all sheaves for side wear of
Steering Spline Clutch Adjustment
Adjustment should seldom be required, but if
(4) Inspect block and hook for secure
needed, adjust the reach rods I the bevel gear case (fig.
mountings and proper lubrication.
3-17). With the steering spline clutch lever
in neutral, the
(5) Inspect crane boom for bent or
reach rod lengths should be adjusted so that both
damaged cords and lacings and for loose bolt mountings
clutches are in full engagement.
butt joints. Tighten loose bolts; replace missing bolts.
(6) Inspect the boom foot pins; make sure
Boom Hoist Clutch Band Inspection and
they are secure.
b. Service. Lubricate all points on boom and hook
block in accordance with lubrication order.
(1) Inspect boom hoist clutch and booster
3-27. Operating Clutches Inspection, Service,
bands for wear or damage. If satisfactory operation
cannot be obtained by adjustment, worn band should be
a. General. Operating clutches (fig. 3-15 and 3-16)
(2) Report defective or worn band to
should hold securely when engaged and be completely
free when levers are in neutral positive.
(1) Booster band. With control lever in
(1) Check linkage and shifter yokes for
neutral position, adjust booster clutch band wear
wear and damage. See if all connecting pins and bolts
adjustments nuts until booster band will have minimum
clearance all around its housing and engage the main
(2) See if shifter yoke reach arms are
clutch on pulling hand lever. A good way to determine
adjusted so that clutches fully engage and release.
sufficient clearance is to hand grasp the booster band at
joint. If it can be moved sideways freely, clearance
should be satisfactory.
(1) Remove oil and grease from lining and
(2) Main clutch. Adjust the main clutch
drums with approved solvent.
release spring just enough to allow main clutch to
disengage when the lever is placed in neutral position
Note. Linings should be replaced before
and the booster clutch is disengaged.
they are Worn flush with rivets.
Boom Hoist Brakeband Inspection and
(2) Report worn or defective linings to
(3) Lubricate clutches in accordance with
a. Inspection. Inspect boom hoist brakeband for
the lubrication order.
wear. If satisfactory operation can no longer