Figure 3-109. Water pump being secured to block.
Figure 3-108. Mandrel being placed on seal driving lip.
(1) Remove capscrews and washers from
(2) Remove locknut (7) and washer (15).
Caution: Seal does not seat on driving lip
(3) Press shaft (11 from pulley hub (8).
(4) Remove snap ring (9i from hub.
(9) Check to make sure carbon seal has not
(5) Press tearings (1) and (2), and spacer
cracked during assembly.
(13) from fan hub.
(10) Lubricate carbon seal face with a light
Remove nut (f), washer (14), and
coat of petroleum jelly. Do not use grease.
adjusting screw (10) securing shaft to bracket (3); lift
Lubricate shaft before installing
shaft from back of bracket.
(1) Clean all parts in an approved cleaning
(12) Press impeller (11) on shaft. Face of
solvent and dry with compressed air.
impeller huth should be 0.620/0.625 in. below cover face
(2) Check shaft and bearings for scratches
of body. Press impeller straight on pump shaft to
prevent cracking ceramic seat, rendering seat useless,
(3) Discard all fan huh parts that are worn or
defective and replace.
Note. Do not use old-style seal seats and rubber
seat rings with carbon seals and ceramic face impellers.
This combination will result in seal failure from excessive
bracket (3); secure with washer (14) and nut (6).
Assemble adjusting screw (10).
with pump supported on impeller end of shaft.
(3) Place spacer (13) and large bearing (21
Assembly lockwasher (141 and
in hub (8) and secure with snap ring (9).
capscrew (4) to shaft.
(4) Press hub (8) on shaft.
(5) Assemble small bearing (1) over shaft
capscrews (5) and new gasket (10t to cover (3) and
mount cover to housing (8).
(6) Install washer 115) and locknut (7).
(16) Fill grease cavity with .80 to .95 ounces of grease
Tighten nut until slight bearing drag is noticed.
meeting specification given in lubrication order.
(7) Install fan spacer (12) with capscrews
(1) Lift pump into position against side of
(8) Remove pipe plug (17) and fill fan huh
60 per cent to 70 per cent full of grease.
(1) Place fan hub and bracket assembly in
(3) Connect water inlet and outlet hose and
position against front of block. Install flatwashers and
capscrews; in 2 or 3 turns.
3-22. Fan Hub Assembly
(2) Install all "V" belts.
(3) Tighten bracket mounting capscrews.
(4) If fan hub is adjusted with adjusting