Note. If self-locking capscrews are not used,
3-34. Flywheel Housing
lockwires must be installed in capscrew heads.
(3) Attach indicator gage to flywheel housing
(2) Remove flywheel assembly (para 343).
(4) Check clutch pilot bearing bore. Total
(3) Remove capscrews, lockwashers and
run out must not exceed 0.005 in.
flatwashers securing flywheel housing to oil pan; remove
(5) Shift gage to indicate flywheel face (fig
(6) Draw four equidistant chalk marks on
(4) Using a soft hammer, tap housing away
(7) Turn crankshaft, taking up crankshaft
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
end clearance as chalk marks align with indicator. Run
Clean dirt and burs from flywheel
out must not exceed 0.0005 inch per inch of diameter. If
housing, cylinder block, and oil pan mating surfaces.
runout exceeds 0.0005 inch per inch of diameter.
(2) Inspect flywheel housing for cracks or
remove flywheel and clean flywheel and crankshaft
flange mating surfaces.
(3) If dowels are worn, sheared or loose,
(8) Reinstall flywheel; check bore at face.
replace them with new dowels.
Note. Crankshaft must be kept at front or rear limit
of thrust clearance while check is being made.
(1) Position (with adhesive) new gasket in
(9) Torque capscrews to 100/110 ft. lbs. If
capscrews have holes in head for safety wire, install by
Be sure gasket is set firmly in place.
crosswiring between pairs of capscrews.
(2) If engine is to be subjected to dusty
conditions, install neoprene sponge rubber seal between
flywheel housing and oil pan. Seal is equipped with a
fabric pull tape or cotter key to facilitate removal of seal
(to allow removal of oil pan).
(3) Mount flywheel housing to cylinder block
capscrews; snug-tighten capscrews.
d. Inspecting Flywheel Housing Bore.
(1) Attach indicator gage to crankshaft
(2) Draw chalk marks at A, Al, B and B'.
(3) Check readings at B and B'. If total
runout exceeds 0.010 inch, use a pinch bar to move
housing one-half distance of total indicator reading in
order to center housing horizontally.
(4) Check readings at A and A'. If total
runout exceeds 0.010 inch, use a pinch bar to pry
Figure 3-164. Flywheel indicator gage installation.
Figure 3-165. Flywheel indicator gage.
Figure 3-166. Flywheel housing removal.