Figure 3-170. Oil pan, exploded view.
c. Cleaning and Inspection.
(3) Check all threaded holes for damaged
(1) Remove all gasket material from oil pan
d. Repair. Repair small cracks in pan by welding.
(2) Visually check oil pan for cracks. If a
Do not weld finished surfaces.
leak, is suspected, check using dye penetrant as follows:
Spray suspected area with dye
(1) Install pipe plugs and drain plugs in oil
pan securely. Do not overtighten.
Allow penetrant to dry for fifteen
(2) Position (with adhesive) new gasket on
minutes. Do not "force dry".
oil pan mounting surface. Be sure mating surface is
(c) Spray area with dye developer, and
clean of all old gasket material. Check dowels for worn
check for crack indications.
or loose condition.