Figure 3-178. Crankshaft hub removal.
Figure 3-180. Vibration damper installation.
(1) Slide flange over crankshaft end; secure
with large retainer washer and Nylon capscrew. Torque
(2) Place vibration damper over flange,
(3) Torque capscrews to 85/45 ft.-lbs.
Eccentricity of vibration damper
mounting fange measured on the outside diameter of the
pilot must not exceed 0.004 in. total indicator reading,
Wobble in the vibration damper
mounting flange must not exceed 0.003 in. measured at
After assembly, vibration damper
maximum allowable runout (total indicator reading) must
Note. Make checks with dial indicator measured
on smooth inner ledge of inertia member.
crankshaft thrust clearance to front or rear limit while
Figure 3-181. Vibration and crankshaft hub eccentricity
and wobble measurements.
3-39. Gear Cover
(1) Remove accessory drive pulley (para 3-
Remove vibration damper and
securing cover to block (including two capscrews behind
(4) Lift gear cover from engine.
(5) Remove and discard gasket.
Figure 3-179. Crankshaft hub installation.
(1) Inspect gear cover for cracks or other
(2) Remove all oil seal and bearings. (8)
wear. If excessive, install a bushing as described in