(b) Locate indicator pin against front of
bearing retainer and/or camshaft.
engine as far as possible Set gage at "O".
(7) Position a new cover-to-cylinder block
(c) Push camshaft and gear toward rear of
gasket onto cylinder block with gasket adhesive.
(8) Attach ST-558 seal tool assembly (fig.
Proper camshaft end play is
to crankshaft; slide rear cover and seal assembly
0.007/0.0.011in.; if clearance exceeds 0.015 in., replace
into position over tool.
Figure 3-192. Checking camshaft end play.
Figure 3-193. Rear cover removal.
3-42. Rear Cover and Seal
(1) Remove capscrews and lockwasher
securing cover to block.
(2) Slide rear cover, seal and gasket off the
(3) Discard seal and gasket.
b. Inspection. Inspect rear cover for cracks or
defects. If damaged, replace the rear cover.
(1) Alinement during engine assembly is the
biggest factor to proper performance of the rear cover
unit. The outer machined surface, indicate by arrows in
properly centered around the crankshaft.
indicator to crankshaft with point resting on machined
Figure 3-194. Rear cover locating surface.
surface and maintain within a maximum of 0.005 inch
secure cover to cylinder block; screw in until finger tight.
(2) Coat new rear cover 3eal with clean
(10) Shift cover until oil pan surface of cover
is flush with oil pan surface of cylinder block, figure 3-
(3) Lay rear cover on arbor press table with
of metal with
a straight edge
mounting surface face down.
(4) Use a flat plate, larger than outside
(11) To check rear cover alinement, mount
diameter of seal and press seal ("open" side down) into
indicator on crankshaft end with point of indicator on
cover until rear of seal is flush with rear of cover.
machined surface of rear cover trunnion as illustrated in
(5) Lubricate cavity between oil seal lips
with clean lubricating oil.
total indicator runout must not exceed 0.005in.
(6) Clean the crankshaft chamfer outside
(12) Tighten mounting capscrews to 20/25
diameter. A burr on the chamfer would cut the seal and
cause a leak.