(b) Jacking up revolving frame and
lower works out from under upper works. It can be hauled
building cribbing to support it. Four jacks should be used,
out on skids with tractor, but watch to clear blocking at
one under each corner of revolving frame (do not jack
sides. Leave upper works standing on blocking until lower
against light side decks).
works can be replaced.
d. Prepare Upper Works for Installation.
(2) Remove adjusting rod.
(3) Pry off retainer with shaft attached.
(1) Remove propel jaw clutch and shifter and
(4) Roll cone roller aside and remove cone
propel gear from inside propel and swing gear case. These
unit nut with O-ring seal attached.
parts have been left free in the case where upper works was
c. Lift Off the Upper Works.
lifted off from lower works and will interfere with free
(1) Lifting may be accomplished with a crane
insertion of the vertical swing shaft unless they are removed.
(capable of lifting 25, 000 pounds). An overhead shop type
(2) Remove vertical shaft oil seal flange and
crane is preferred if convenient. Lift can be made with a
seal to avoid damage to them in lowering upper works.
larger sized crawler crane or with two 22-B cranes. If crane
is not available, lift can be made by jacks and blocking.
(3) Move upper works (or lower works) into
General instructions follow for each method.
place and lower carefully so the vertical swing shaft enters
(2) Crane lift.
its bushing accurately. Install cone roller frame assemblies,
(a) If this machine is carrying crane type
if these have been removed. Lower just far enough so cone
rollers can be inserted in roller path.
boom, lower boom to about 20 degree angle.
(4) Block revolving frame at that level for
(b) Attach a wire rope sling to lifting eyes
at boom foot pins.
e. Assembly and Installation.
(c) Attach a second wire rope sling to
(1) Insert roll pin on shaft.
lifting eyes at A-frame yoke.
(2) Coat pin with white lead at revolving point
(d) Attach slings to crane hook and
adjust slings so machine is balanced evenly. Check by
(3) Place cone roller with its cone nut and O-
roller clearances while lifting slightly to take load off cone
ring in place on roller path and roll in position to permit
insertion of pin.
(e) Having completed the disconnecting
(4) Install adjusting rod in pin bore and thread
of upper and lower works, lift upper works off from lower
into cone nut.
works and set it aside on blocking. It should rest bn two
(5) Install shims and retainer in place with
forward roller lugs and on corners of rear end casting (gear
case side is heaviest.) Do not support under the larger
(outer) counterweight casting.
(3) Jack lift.
Connect Control Linkage.
(a) Position upper works crossways on
(1) Install vertical shaft oil seal, retainer
lower works for convenience in pulling lower works out after
flange and capscrews.
jacking and blocking upper works.
(2) Install swing gear, swing jaw clutch and
(b) Lower crane boom point to ground on
shovel boom to rest on a block placed on extended dipper
(3) If vertical control shaft and sleeve running
handle between handle and boom ("scissors" fashion), and
through vertical swing shaft have been removed replace
at rest on the dipper.
(c) Use square timbers or sound railroad
(4) Slide horizontal steering clutch control
ties for blocking. Have plenty of good blocking material on
shaft and digging lock control sleeve to left through control
(d) Use four hydraulic jacks for lifting.
(5) Connect steering clutch lever to vertical
(Screw jacks may be used but are not as convenient. Do
control sleeve (running through vertical swing shaft) by
inserting lever pins in the holes on each side.
(e) Position jacks to jack against the
(6) Insert digging lock lever in slot on top of
corners of central revolving frame being sure to jack against
vertical control rod.
substantial frame members.
(7) Tighten setscrews holding above levers to
(f) Jack and block by turns until upper
horizontal control shaft and sleeve and reconnect reach
works clears lower works. Note that about six inches of lift
can be saved by removing steering and digging lock controls
(8) Install two oil sump plugs.
and another 15 inches by removing vertical swing shaft.
(9) Replace front cover on swing and propel
Caution: Keep blocking solid. Also remember
not to block permanently in front opening for rolling out
(g) When upper works is clear, drag