Note. Combination gear and jaw clutch must be
the spur gear has eight. Matching is difficult once
held down by blocking under upper bearing housing, to
relative positions are lost. If new pinion is to be
prevent cocking as shaft is pushed up through with
installed match splines and duplicate the marks on old
jack and blocking.
pinion. If shaft is to be removed (or position disturbed)
(5) Replace upper bearing, washer and nut.
mark case, end of shift and hub of spur gear to show
Tighten nut until shaft runs tight and then back off one flat
relationship so splines can be meshed readily.
on hexagon nut to line up with cotter hole. Check to be sure
(8) The shaft is now free to be pulled out
of a free running fit and insert cotter to lock. Pack cavity half
partially. Leave the retaining plate on the spur gear side on
full GAA, wheel bearing grease, and replace gasket and
the shaft to aid in pulling shaft.
(9) The bevel pinion will stay in its place. If it
(6) Replace clutch shifter, shifter shoes, shaft
is to be removed, the combination bevel gear must be
and hand lever, also steering and digging lock controls, if
shifted out of the way by dropping the vertical swing shaft as
(7) Replace main gear case cover and drain
removed. The right ball bearing is a light tap fit on the hub
plugs in sump pan.
of the bevel pinion and will come out with it, but it can be
(8) Replace crown chain, or rope guard.
readily removed by prying it off.
(9) Refill case with transmission case
(10) Support the spur gear, then remove the
lubricant to high level in accordance with lubrication order.
two outer capscrews in retainer, leaving the center one in
place to aid in pulling shaft.
Caution: Use a suitable lifting device when
(1) Position upper works crossways with
removing the shaft from the 160 pound spur gear. Take
tracks to provide clearance needed to drop gear from gear
care not to bend the oil trough, located above the gear.
(11) Pull the shaft all the way out. Catch the
(2) Remove cover over swing and propel gear
left ball bearing as it drops off shaft, and lower the spur gear
case (fig. 4-2).
down through the bottom of the gear case.
(a) Clean cover.
b. Inspection and Repair.
Clean all parts
(b) Take out capscrews along front edge
thoroughly and inspect for damage and excessive wear.
of cover and slide cover forward.
For gear and bearing inspection and repair, see
(3) Drain oil from main gear case by removing
paragraph 2-8. Replace damaged hardware.
(1) Insert left bearing in casting, with the
shielded side inward.
(2) Raise up and support spur gear in gear
(3) Replace bevel pinion with right bearing on
it, if it was removed.
Caution: Both bearings must be replaced so
that the shields are towards each other.
(4) Insert shaft through hand hole at left of
gear case, and thread through spur gear, left bearing, and
(5) Replace the retainers at both ends of
pinion end, and three capscrews with lockwashers on the
spur gear end.
Note. Reassembly of shaft through spur and Into
Figure 4-8. Horizontal swing shift, cutaway view.
bevel requires simultaneous engagement of two sets of
(4) Remove sump pan from main gear case.
splines. If adequate marks were not made in disassembly,
(5) Remove swing friction clutch shifter
this process can be simplified by lining up a spline keyway in
gears and noting into which position shaft must be rotated to
(6) Remove hand hole cover on outer side of
similarly line up its spline. Two position line (note marking"
notes in disassembly).
(7) Remove the two capscrews and retaining
(6) Replace hand hold gasket and cover.
plate on shaft at bevel pinion end.
(7) Replace swing friction clutch shifter
Note. Before removing bevel, mark the meshing
of its teeth with its mating bevel so that its position can
(8) Replace sump pan and gasket checking
be duplicated to allow ready insertion of shaft in spline.
to insure seal.
The spline in the bevel pinion has six keyways, that in