Note. The maximum allowable pitch on track wear
4-23. Track Drive Sprockets
is 3/16 inches.
(1) Part track belt at drive tumbler end, and
(1) Propel machine so link to be removed is
fold back upper links.
in contact with takeup idler in vertical position.
(2) Remove four bolts in tumbler shaft
(2) Loosen track by backing up the two
take-up screws on this idler.
(3) Part the drive chain at any link.
(3) Drive block along the ground against the
(4) Remove the two adjusting screw pins
link just below the link you want to remove to relieve load
and roll tumbler out.
(5) Remove chain sprocket by bending back
(4) Remove link-pin locks from the four pins
lock bar and removing capscrews.
attaching the link to be removed.
(6) Take outer and inner bearings off shaft.
(5) Remove four link-pins and lift out link
(7) Press tumbler off shaft (30-50 ton
(weighs about: 30 pounds).
If possible retain block position for
Inspection and Repair.
Clean all parts
thoroughly and inspect for damage or excessive wear.
Note. To remove an entire track, part one link as
See paragraph 2-8 for bushing inspection and repair
outlined above lay track flat on ground and lift or jack
procedures. Rebuild by welding any broken or worn
machine up so it clears the track.
sprocket teeth. Replace damaged or worn hardware.
b. Track-link Assembly.
(1) Put new link in place.
(1) Press tumbler on shaft (30-50 ton
(2) Insert two link-pins and locks, attaching
new link to one end of track.
(3) If necessary, pull ends of track together,
(track adjustment as loose as possible).
(3) Install inner and outer bearings.
(4) Insert remaining two pins and locks.
(4) Slide chain sprocket on splined shaft
Remove blocking or plank or bar
and lock in place with two capscrews and lock bar.
clamped to hold track ends in place.
(5) Roll tumbler into position and insert two
(6) Readjust track tension.
adjusting screw pins.
To replace an entire track, assemble
(6) Replace drive chain.
individual links as described below, lay track out on
(7) Replace four idler shaft bolts.
ground, slide it under jacked-up machine, lower truck-
(8) Connect track belt.
frame into place, bring track-ends up over drive-tumbler,
d. Adjustment. Adjust track tension according to
propel and lead track over top rollers, hold in place for
procedure in TM 5-3810-289-12.
fastening end-links by blocking as above, or by clamping
end-links on a plank or bar. When installing a new track,
part track as above, attach new links to end of old, and
propel machine on to new track.
Figure 4-22. Track belt removal and installation.
Figure 4-21. Track drive sprocket replacement.
4-24. Track Assembly Replacement