VARIABLE SPEED MECHANICAL GOVERNOR AND INJECTOR RACK CONTROL ADJUSTMENT
The variable speed mechanical governor assembly is
3. Clean and remove the governor cover and the valve
mounted at the rear of the 6V engine, between the
rocker covers. Discard the gaskets.
flywheel housing and the blower (Fig. 1). The governor
is driven by the right-hand blower rotor drive gear.
4. Place the speed control lever in the maximum
After adjusting the exhaust valves and timing the fuel
injectors, adjust the governor and position the injector
5. Insert a .006" feeler gage between the spring plunger
and the plunger guide as shown in Fig. 2. If required,
loosen the lock nut and turn the adjusting screw in or out
until a slight drag is noted on the feeler gage.
Before proceeding with the
governor and injector rack adjustments,
6. Hold the adjusting screw and tighten the lock nut
Check the gap and readjust if necessary.
governing device. After the adjustments
are completed, reconnect and adjust
7. Use a new gasket and install the governor cover.
the supplementary governing device.
Position Injector Rack Control Levers
Adjust Governor Gap
The position of the injector control racks must be
With the engine stopped and at normal operating
correctly set in relation to the governor. Their position
temperature, adjust the governor gap as follows:
determines the amount of fuel injected into each
cylinder and ensures equal distribution of the load.
1. Disconnect any linkage attached to the governor
1. Speed control lever at the maximum speed position.
2. Back out the buffer screw until
approximately 5/8" from the lock nut.
Fig. 1 - Variable Speed Governor Mounting
Fig. 2 - Adjusting Governor Gap