DETROIT DIESEL 53
Fig. 2. - Air and Water Passages in 6V Cast Iron Cylinder Block
4. Disconnect and remove or air cleaner and
Since the cylinder block is the main structural part of the
engine, the various sub-assemblies must be removed
5. Disconnect the exhaust piping and remove the
when an engine is overhauled.
6. Disconnect and remove the starting motor,
The hydraulically operated overhaul stand (Fig. 4.)
battery charging generator and other electrical
provides a convenient support when stripping a cylinder
block. The engine is mounted in an upright position. It
may then be tipped on its side, rotated in either direction
90 or 180 , where it is locked in place, and then, if
8. Remove the air box drain tubes and fittings.
desired, tipped back with either end or the oil pan side
9. Remove the air box covers.
10. Disconnect any other lubricating oil lines, fuel
Remove and Disassemble Engine
lines or electrical connections.
11. Remove the radiator and fan guard and other
Before mounting an engine on an overhaul stand, it
related cooling system parts.
must be removed from its base and disconnected from
12. Separate the engine from the transmission or
the transmission or other driven mechanism. Details of
other driven mechanism.
this procedure will vary from one application to another.
13. Remove the engine mounting bolts.
However, the following steps will be necessary:
14. Use a chain hoist and suitable sling attached to
the engine lifting brackets to lift the engine.
1. Drain the cooling system.
15. Place the side of the cylinder block against the
2. Drain the lubricating oil from the oil pan.
3. Disconnect the fuel lines.
1972 General Motors Corp.
SEC. 1.1 Page 3