DETROIT DIESEL 53
Cylinder Block 1.1
Fig. 6 - Checking Cylinder Block Bore with Tool J 5347
3. Apply 80-100 psi air pressure to the water jacket and
maintain this pressure for at least two hours to give the
water and antifreeze mixture ample time to work its way
through any cracks which may exist.
Fig. 7 - Block Bore Measurement Diagram
4. At the end of this test period, examine the cylinder
surface must not vary more than .003 " transversely and
bores, air box, oil passages, crankcase and exterior of
not over .006" 6V-53
the block for water and antifreeze mixture, which will
indicate the presence of cracks.
5. After the pressure test is completed, remove the
plate(s) and drain the water jacket. Then remove the
liners and seal rings and blow out all of the passages in
the block with compressed air.
6. Dry the cylinder liners with compressed air and coat
them with oil to prevent rust.
Inspect Cylinder Block
After cleaning and pressure testing, inspect the
cylinder block as follows:
1. Check the top of the block for flatness with an
Fig.8 Typical Cylinder Block Markings
accurate straight edge and a feeler gage. The top
1972 General Motors Corp.
SEC. 1.1 Page 7