DETROIT DIESEL 53
Cylinder Block 1.1
them on the cylinder block by reversing the sequence of
right-hand corner of the V-type block. Also make sure
the bearing caps are properly numbered (Fig. 8).
3. Remove the engine from the overhaul stand.
9. After inspection, if the cylinder block is not to be
used immediately, spray the machined surfaces with
4. Install the air box covers and tighten the bolts.
engine oil. If the block is to be stored for an extended
period of time, spray or dip the block in rust preventive
Tighten the bolts to 10-15 Ib-ft torque.
compound. Castings free of grease or oil will rust when
exposed to the atmosphere.
5. Install the accessories that were removed from the
engine before it was mounted on the overhaul stand.
Assemble and Install Engine
6. Fill the crankcase to the proper level with the
After the cylinder block has been cleaned and inspected,
recommended grade of lubricating oil (Section 13.3).
assemble the engine as follows:
7. Close the drains and fill the cooling system. Then
NOTE: Before a reconditioned or new service
close the cooling system vents (if used) and check for
cylinder block is used, steam clean it to remove
both lubricating and cooling system leaks.
the rust preventive and blow out the oil galleries
with compressed air.
8. Check the engine on a dynamometer, following the
RUN-IN procedure outlined in Section 13.2.1.
1. Mount the block on an overhaul stand.
9. Reinstall the engine in the unit and recheck the
2. Clean and inspect all of the engine parts and
lubricating oil and coolant levels.
subassemblies and, using new parts as required, install
1972 General Motors Corp.
SEC. 1.1 Page 9