DETROIT DIESEL 53
Valve Operating Mechanism
Fig. 12. - Relationship Between Exhaust Valve Bridge and Valve Stems
With this hole pointing away from the exhaust valves,
NOTE: Heat the Cindol 1705 in a small
slide the cam follower into position.
pail, with a screen insert. The screen
insert will prevent the follower assemblies
3. Install a serrated lower spring seat on each push rod.
from touching the bottom of the pail
during soaking, thus avoiding the
4. Place the push rod springs (Fig. 11) on the push
IMPORTANT: When installing a new cam
5. Install the upper spring seat on each push rod.
/ follower assembly, wash it with clean
lubricating oil or Cindol 1705 to remove
6. Set the push rod, lower spring seat, spring and upper
spring seat down in the cam follower.
7. Note the oil hole in the bottom of the cam follower.
7. Install a flat washer and nut on the push rod. Then
With this oil hole pointing away from the exhaust valves,
place tool J 3092-01 on the push rod, between the flat
slide the cam follower into position from the bottom of
washer and upper spring seat. Screw the nut down on
the push rod until the spring is compressed sufficiently
to permit the retainer to be installed. Partially collapse
8. Attach the cam follower guide (Fig. 8) to the bottom
the retainer and install it in the cylinder head groove.
of the cylinder head to hold the group of cam followers
in place. Tighten the cam follower guide bolts to 12-15
8. Remove the nut, flat washer and tool from the push
lb-ft torque. Check to be sure there is at least .005"
clearance between the cam follower legs and the cam
follower guide (Fig. 9). If there is insufficient clearance,
9. Reinstall the nut on the push rod. Screw the nut
loosen the guide bolts slightly and tap each corner of the
down as far as possible on the push rod. Then screw
guide with a brass rod (Fig. 10). Then retighten the
the rocker arm clevis down on the push rod until the end
bolts to 12-15 Ib-ft torque and recheck the clearance.
of the push rod is flush with or above the inner side of
Install Cam Follower and Push Rod Assembly
NOTE: The injector rocker arm (the
(Cylinder Head Not Removed from Engine)
center arm of the group) is slightly
different from the exhaust valve rocker
1. Lubricate the cam follower as stated in Step 6 under
arms; the boss for the shaft on the valve
Install Cam Follower and Push Rod Assembly (Cylinder
rocker arms is longer on one side of the
Head Removed from Engine).
arm than on the other. The extended
boss of the valve rocker arms must face
2. Note the oil hole in the bottom of the cam follower.
1972 General Motors Corp.
SEC. 1.2.1 Page 7