DETROIT DIESEL 53
Fig. 13. Checking Relative Concentricity of
Valve Seat Insert with Relation to Valve Guide
3. Install the valve spring seats.
4. Install the valve guide oil seals, if used, on the valve
guide as follows:
a. Place the plastic seal installation cap on the end
of the valve stem. If the cap extends more than
1/16" below the groove on the valve stem,
remove the cap and cut off the excess length.
b. Lubricate the installation cap and start the seal
carefully over the valve stem. Push the seal
1. Lubricate the valve stems and slide the valves all the
down slowly until it rests on top of the valve
way into the guides.
IMPORTANT: If reconditioned valves are
Remove the installation cap.
used, install them in the same relative
location from which they were removed.
5. Install the valve springs and valve spring caps.
2. Hold the valves in place temporarily with a strip of
6. Thread the valve spring compressor J 7455 into one
masking tape. Then, turn the cylinder head right side
of' the rocker shaft bolt holes in the cylinder head (Fig.
up on the work bench. Place a board under the head to
support the valves and to provide clearance between
7. Apply pressure to the free end of the tool to
compress the valve spring and install the two-piece
tapered valve lock. Exercise care to avoid scoring the
valve stem with the valve cap Then compressing the
1972 General Motors Corp.