DETROIT DIESEL 53
Exhaust Valves 1.2.2
NOTE: If valve guide oil seals are used, compress the
valve spring only enough to permit installation of the
valve locks. Compressing the spring too far may result
in damage to the oil seal.
8. Release the tool and install the valve locks on the
remaining exhaust valves in the same manner.
9. Check the position of the exhaust valve (Fig. 11).
10. With the exhaust valves installed in the cylinder
head, use spring checking gage WRE -500-60 and note
the gage reading the moment the exhaust valve starts to
open (Fig. 15). The minimum pressure required to start
to open the exhaust valve must not be less than 25
11. Install the injectors, rocker arms, shafts, brackets
and any other-parts that were previously removed from
the cylinder head.
12. Install the cylinder head. Refer to Pre-installation
Inspection and Install Cylinder Head in Section 1.2.
13. Perform a complete engine tune-up.
Fig. 15.- Checking Valve Opening Pressure
with Gage WRE-500-60
1972 General Motors Corp.
SEC. 1.2.2 Page 9