DETROIT DIESEL 53
Crankshaft Oil Seals 1.3.2
3. Position the sleeve on the crankshaft with the
Place the cover or in an arbor press
radius on the sleeve facing away from the engine.
(inner face down).
4. Press the sleeve squarely on-the crankshaft with
4. Use installer J 9783 to press the oil seal into the
front oil seal sleeve installer J 22524 and the crankshaft
cover until the seal is flush with the outside face of the
pulley retaining bolt.
5. Wipe off any excess sealant.
5. Remove all excess sealant.
To remove a worn sleeve, peen the sleeve until it
stretches sufficiently so that it can be slipped off of the
6. Install the engine front cover.
Install Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal
1. Support the inner face of the flywheel housing in
Current oil seals are made of an oil resistant synthetic
an arbor press.
rubber which is pre-lubricated with a special lubricant.
Do not remove this lubricant. Keep the sealing lip clean
2. If the seal is not pre-coated, apply a non-
and free from scratches. In addition, a plastic coating
hardening sealant to the periphery of the metal casing.
which acts as a sealant has been applied to the outer
surface of the casing. Do not remove this coating.
3. If not previously lubricated, apply grease or
vegetable shortening to the lip of the oil seal; then,
position the seal in the flywheel housing bore with the lip
Install Crankshaft Front Oil Seal
of the seal pointing toward the inner face of the housing.
1. If the outside diameter of the seal is not pre-
4. Use installer J 9479 to press the oil seal into the
coated with sealant, apply a non-hardening sealant to
flywheel housing until the seal is flush with the outside
the periphery of the metal casing.
face of the housing (Fig. 5 ).
2. Apply grease or vegetable shortening to the
If the flywheel housing was not removed from the
sealing lip; then, position the seal in the cover with the
engine, place oil seal expander J 9769 (standard size
lip of the seal pointing toward the inner face of the
seal) or J 21278 (oversize seal) up against the rear end
of the crankshaft; then, with the lip of the oil seal pointed
toward the flywheel housing, slide the seal over the
expander and on the crankshaft. Next, thread the guide
studs J 9479-2 into the crankshaft. Now drive the seal
into the flywheel housing with installer J 9479-1 until the
seal is flush with the face of the housing
5. all excess sealant from the housing and the
Fig. 5. Installing Oil Seal in Flywheel Housing
(c) 1972 General Motors Corp.
SEC 1.3.2 Page 3