DETROIT DIESEL 53
quantity of International Compound No.
equivalent, and install them in the bearing caps. Draw
the bolts up snug. Then, rap the caps sharply with a soft
hammer to seat them properly and draw the bearing cap
bolts uniformly tight, starting with the center cap and
working alternately towards both ends of the block, to
120-130 lb-ft torque. On a V-type engine, tighten the
stabilizer to cylinder block 7/16"-14 bolts to 46-50 Ib ft
installed properly, the crankshaft will
turn freely with all of the main bearing
cap bolts drawn to the specified torque.
4. Check the crankshaft end play as outlined under
Install Crankshaft in Section 1.3.
5. Install the lubricating oil pump intake pipe
6. Use a new gasket and install the oil pan.
7. Fill the crankcase to the proper level (indicated
on the dipstick) with heavy-duty lubricating oil of the
Fig. 8 Crankshaft Thrust Washer Mounting
Specifications in Section 13.3).
the cylinder block that carries the engine serial number.
8. After installing new bearing shells, operate the
3. With the lower bearing shells installed in the
engine on a run-in schedule as outlined in Section
bearing caps, install the caps and stabilizers on a V-type
engine, in their original position. Lubricate the bolt
threads and the bolt head contact areas with a small
1972 General Motors Corp.